Saturday 12 October 2013

10 things I miss about Saudi Arabia

Saudi had been my home for almost 11 years and I had this strong feeling that it was time to move. I don't want to go into the reasons for that but to be honest, they were very valid. End result was that I packed by bags and moved to Singapore permanently

It has been almost 5 months now since I moved. I knew that I would miss Saudi after being there for so long but I realised how much only after I moved out. The feeling keeps growing about this loss, a loss that I cannot really put my finger on but it is there. 

So without further ado, I'll go into the 10 things I miss the most about Saudi Arabia in no order of preference.

  1. Singapore is a lovely city, green and well planned but I miss the sheer size of Riyadh. Its such a big city and it keeps expanding every day. I miss driving down the road without having tall sky scrapers blocking my view of the sky. It made Riyadh feel a lot bigger.
  2. I miss the size of the food servings in restaurants in Saudi. They serve absolutely humongous burgers and steaks in Saudi. Not to forget refillable drinks in many outlets. A veritable gorge fest!!!
  3. I love food here in Singapore but I really hanker for some juicy kebabs, mandi, shawarma, kunafa, umm ali...I better stop before I start drooling all over the keyboard. Satay, ayam penyet, nasi lamak are all great but there is something so yummy about those khubz fresh out of oven, fattayer, broasted chicken...well there I go again :-)
  4. I miss driving on the highways, seeing endless vistas of sand and date trees interspersed with camels walking in no hurry across them.
  5. I miss the sound of the Azaan. Here in Singapore, I have never heard one. But in Saudi we lived close to atleast 3 mosques and at the time of prayer, you could never miss the Azaan. The case is the same everywhere in Saudi, kinda gives you the feeling that you are never far from "home"
  6. This may sound strange but I miss the traffic in Saudi. The sheer crazy driving on display there with all kinds of cars involved is no less than a visit to the circus. 
  7. I miss going on drives around the city at night, drives that we could easily afford because is so cheap in Saudi. 12 US cents for a litre...enuff said :-)
  8. I never had problems finding my size clothes in Saudi but Singapore ....well its a big struggle here :-)
  9. I miss Ramadan in Saudi, there is such a festive buzz in the air. People shopping out late in the night, taraweeh prayers going on, people handing out iftar on the streets....
  10. I miss the two holy mosques. I miss them in a way that I cannot explain in words. I remember my tears when I was last there at the Kaabah. Insha Allah, I will be there again.
Well there you go, my list of things I miss about Saudi Arabia....A place I called home for 11 years, where I set up our first home with my wife, where I made great friends and had so much fun with them. Saudi Arabia, I will miss you always. Masalaam!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment